Wednesday 23 May 2012

Salter and the Leveson Inquiry



Ain't  Google Alerts wunnerful?

If it wasn't for them I would not have discovered this evening that the Reading Chronicle has published on its website a report of evidence given to a certain inquiry by one M. Salter, which refers to remarks made to media outlets by yours truly some years ago and describes these remarks as lies.  I refer to a story which can be found here

It contains serious inaccuracies, in particular in that it states that comments I made to the media some years ago (Mail on Sunday, story by Jonathan Oliver in 2004) were untrue, when in fact not only are they factual, but Martin Salter acknowledged them to be so, stating that to a large number of people in the House of Commons at the time, including to at least one shadow minister, in, inter alia, the following terms "I coughed to the dope, but not to the grope".

I have asked the Chronicle why, in publishing this piece, they did not contact me for comments, as I was named therein.  I contacted their news desk and of course their editor in chief Sally Stephens (kisses, Sals), I hope they respond.  I also sent a message like this to the Reading Evening Post (Andy Murrill and Hilary Scott)

I said this to the Chronicle: I would also request that you do not publish this piece in the paper version of your publication, or indeed in any other version.  I hereby offer you the opportunity to withdraw from publication of any inaccuracies.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jane Griffiths

Well, we'll wait and see, won't we?

No comments: